If your employee’s wear a respirator, then you must implement a written respiratory protection program according to OSHA CFR 29 1910.134. Our written respiratory program encompasses all 13 components, which includes training a qualified program administrator to oversee the program.
If your employee’s wear a respirator, then you are required to have a written respiratory protection program.
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS OF OSHA’S RESPIRATORY PROTECTION STANDARD 29 CFR 1910.134
- Written Respiratory Protection Program
- Must designate a qualified program administrator to oversee the program.
- Must provide respirators, training, and medical evaluations at no cost to the employee.
- OSHA has prepared a Small Entity Compliance Guide that contains criteria for selection of a program administrator.
(d) Selection of Respirators
Must select a respirator certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and
Health (NIOSH) which must be used in compliance with the conditions of its certification.
Must identify and evaluate the respiratory hazards in the workplace, including a reasonable
estimate of employee exposures and identification of the contaminant’s chemical state and
Where exposure cannot be identified or reasonably estimated, the atmosphere shall be
considered immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH).
Respirators for non-IDLH atmospheres:
Employers must use the assigned protection factors (APFs) listed in Table 1 to select
a respirator that meets or exceeds the required level of employee protection.
- When using a combination respirator (e.g., airline respirators with an air purifying
filter), employers must ensure that the assigned protection factor is
appropriate to the mode of operation in which the respirator is being used.
Must select a respirator for employee use that maintains the employee’s exposure to the
hazardous substance, when measured outside the respirator, at or below the maximum
use concentration (MUC).
- Must not apply MUCs to conditions that are IDLH; instead must use respirators
listed for IDLH conditions in paragraph (d)(2) of this standard.
- When the calculated MUC exceeds the IDLH level or the performance limits of
the cartridge or canister, then employers must set the maximum MUC at that
- The respirator selected shall be appropriate for the chemical state and physical
form of the contaminant.
(e) Medical Evaluation
(f) Fit Testing
All employees using a negative or positive pressure tight-fitting facepiece respirator
must pass an appropriate qualitative fit test (QLFT) or quantitative fit test (QNFT).
Fit testing is required prior to initial use, whenever a different respirator facepiece is used,
and at least annually thereafter. An additional fit test is required whenever the employee
reports, or the employer or PLHCP makes visual observations of, changes in the
employee’s physical condition that could affect respirator fit (e.g., facial scarring, dental
changes, cosmetic surgery, or an obvious change in body weight).
(g) Use of Respirators
(h) Maintenance and Care of Respirators
(i) Breathing Air Quality and Use
(j) Identification of Filters, Cartridges, and Canisters
(k) Training and Information
Must provide effective training to respirator users, including:
- why the respirator is necessary and how improper fit, use, or maintenance can compromise the protective effect of the respirator
limitations and capabilities of the respirator
- use in emergency situations
- how to inspect, put on and remove, use and check the seals
- procedures for maintenance and storage
- recognition of medical signs and symptoms that may limit or prevent effective use
- general requirements of this standard
- Training required prior to initial use, unless acceptable training has been provided by another employer within the past 12 months.
(l) Program Evaluation
- Records of medical evaluations must be retained and made available per 29 CFR 1910.1020.
- A record of fit tests must be established and retained until the next fit test.
- A written copy of the current program must be retained.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
- $50.00 – or subscribe and get up to 5% off